Legal Metrology is the application of legal requirements to measurements and measuring instruments. It is a division governed under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution in India and is a part of the Department of Consumer Affairs. This division came into force after the Legal Metrology Act of 2009 was notified on 31st Jan 2011 and implemented with effect from 1st April 2011. The objective of Legal Metrology is to ensure public guarantee from the point of view of security and accuracy of the weighments and measurements.
Major Stakeholders under the Legal Metrology Act, 2009
- Indian Manufacturer
Product Categories under Legal Metrology (LM)
Weight & Measurement Product
All the licenses or certificates enlisted below are exclusively applicable for products which pertains to weight & measurement like weighing machine, IR thermometer, BP machine, smart watch, body fat measuring machines, length measurement instruments, capacity measuring instruments, fuel dispenser, electronic scales & Tank Lorries etc., In general, they need to take 5 stage registration from LM department as below-
- Model Approval under Section-22 : A manufacturer or importer of any weight, measure or measuring instrument shall obtain approval of model from the Director of Legal Metrology, GOI.For the process of approval of models, testing of particular product will takes place in any of the authorized RRSL/NPL lab and further test report will be submitted to the LM department. After fulfilling all the necessary requirements, the certificate of model approval will be released.
- Import License/Registration under Section-19 : The individual, firm or legal entity that brings weights & measurements goods from a foreign country into the Indian customs territory will require the above license from Legal Metrology Department.
- Package Commodity Registration under Rule-27 : Those products which are available in the market in the pre-packaged form irrespective of its end use as weighing/measuring product or non-weight products. When a commodity is placed in a package of whatever nature, has a pre-determined quantity and which was packed without the purchaser being present, comes within the purview of The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules.
- Dealership License under Section-23 : A company have to obtain this license, if they indulged in the trading, buying, selling and distribution of weights and measures product.
- Stamping & Verification : Once applicant is done with the model approval & dealership license, then they can certainly apply for the verification & stamping of weight or measure products. Verification is the process of comparing, checking, testing or adjusting a weight or measure to ensure that it conforms to the standard. Prior using such products for any protection & transaction purpose, it must be verified by controller of legal metrology.
Non-Weight Product (Packaged Commodities Rule, 2011)
Those products which are available in the market in the pre-packaged form and are not used for weight & measurement purpose have to obtain this license. Few of the products like food items, electronic gadgets, consumer durable such as TV, AC etc. as well as non-durable goods such as Cleaning Product, Cosmetics etc.
The followings are the mandatory declarations required on a packet which have been imported and available for sale:
- Name and Address of the Importer/packer/Manufacturer.
- The common and generic name of the product.
- Quantity/Volume/Net weight: in terms of N (number), U (Standard Unit) in Metric Notation i.e. kg, g, l, ml etc.
- Month and Year of Manufacturing/Packing/importing.
- Maximum Retail Price MRP Rs.………. (Inclusive of All Taxes)
- Customer care/Contact no./ email of the manufacturer/packer/importer.
- Country of origin, in case of imported goods.
- Size in cm/m where needed.
- Declarations with regard to dimensions of certain commodities
- Declarations with regard to dimensions and weight to be made on packages in certain cases.
- Declaration to be made with regard to the number of usable sheets to be stated.
- Declarations with regard to the dimensions of container type commodities.